- Our vision: open to all. We want more people on bikes. RE:CYCLE Sussex Bike Co-Op seeks to make this happen. Why? Because cycling is a happier, healthier, greener, cheaper, and self-propelling means of transport. We rescue bikes that otherwise would have gone to landfill. We want to make it easier for people to cycle, in a city where access to bikes can be expensive and intimidating.
- Empowerment: cycling is an empowering activity, which enables you to engage more directly with your body and your surroundings. We seek to provide a solution to being at the mercy of public transport price increases across the country.
- Safety on the road is a right: we seek to increase the safety of cyclists on our roads by providing safety equipment, information and training. Spreading conscientiousness about safety is an integral part of our hiring process.
- Democracy: we have an open volunteer-based membership, so both bike-hirers and general public can be involved. We work in a horizontal manner, so contributions from all members have equal weighting in the decision-making process. RE:CYCLE Sussex Bike Co-Op is a non-profiteering co-op; there is no financial gain for any member.
- Safe space: We seek to provide a space safe from discrimination based on the following – age; disability; gender; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation. We will not tolerate this discrimination either in person, online or at all.
- Community: we work in collaboration with local grassroots organisations to help spread the benefits of bikes, and to develop and expand the cycling community at the University of Sussex, in Brighton and throughout the UK. We work closely with and support (on campus) Freewheelers & other Sustainable Community Action societies, and (off campus) Cranks, Bike Train, Lewes Road for Clean Air, Brighton Bike Project, Sustrans, Velo Cafe and local bike shops.
- Co-op movement: we seek to promote the proliferation of co-op principles, sharing knowledge with and supporting other co-ops and encouraging the creation of new ones. We work with and support Students for Cooperation and AltGen.
- drafted 18th November 2013 by Anne VB, Lyndsay B, Ben L
- reapproved at GM 1st December 2014